Mature Student Counselling Services
Welcome to Fanshawe College!
The Counselling and Accessibility Services team warmly welcomes all adult learners to Fanshawe College. Mature students are a significant and growing segment of the Fanshawe College student population. You are the "older than average" student who is entering the educational process after a period of time away. You have come to your studies with the benefit of life experience, with extra motivation and also with extra responsibilities.
Families are recognized as very important resources for the mature student. Close relatives and partners of mature students will be needed for support throughout your academic career. They are encouraged to attend appropriate College functions, from orientation to graduation, and to share in your success.
What we can offer to you
Mature Students have access to the same counselling services that are available to the entire student body. Divisional and campus counsellors are service providers who, along with the Mature Student Counsellor, share the college's concern for the needs of the adult student. These services include:
- Mature Student Counsellor (MSC) - the MSC has been assigned by the College to provide counselling for newly admitted and current adult learners. Personal, career, family and educational concerns are addressed in a confidential manner.
- Career Counselling
- Personal Counselling - including food issues, domestic violence, adjustment concerns, stress management, self-confidence and self-esteem, community referrals, family adjustment concerns, community resources available to the adult learner, etc.
- Learning Styles, Study Skills, Procrastination, Test Anxiety Issues, Counselling
- Services for Students with Disabilities
- Peer Tutoring
- Financial Assistance - the Student Awards Department reviews and processes applications for students seeking financial assistance to meet their post-secondary educational costs. OSAP is a government program that provides financial assistance to students.