MSD Prevention Tips
August 22, 2008
Injuries can be avoided! There are steps you can take to reduce and/or eliminate exposure to hazards and minimize your chances of developing an MSD.
Make basic changes to your workspace:
- Rearrange your workplace to reduce awkward bending, reaching or lifting;
- Take breaks to give muscles a rest; or
- Opt for a chair that is suitable for the work you are doing.
Assess your workstation and equipment for potential hazards and report any issues to your manager. Concerns will be passed to Health & Safety Services where an occupational health nurse will:
- Complete an ergonomic assessment;
- Recommend loaner equipment such as a new mouse or different chair;
- Provide personal training on proper keyboard and mouse location, chair adjustment, placement of equipment, etc.; or
- Provide information on stretches that will help reduce your risk.
Looking for more information? Please visit http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/hs/pains/topic.html or check Happenings in the Public Folders through Microsoft Outlook for your weekly MSD prevention tip - brought to you by Health & Safety Services.