Paramedic Students Get Involved in the Community
Fanshawe's Paramedic Class of 2012 took volunteerism and fundraising to a new level this semester with many student-led volunteer activities. First-year students collected canned goods and on December 3, 2011, collected more than 1,200 pounds of food from shoppers at the Valumart on Wortley Road. They also raised money for various charities, including Easter Seals, and collected food for Women's Community House. Together with other Fanshawe students, they participated in StairClimb for United Way.
Letter from Kate Wiggins, Executive Director of Women's Community House
Thanks to all in the Fanshawe Paramedic Program for thinking of Women's Community House.
Through the support of individuals like you, Women's Community House is able to continue to provide abused women and their children with the help they need. Many abused women and their children find a safe haven at Women's Community House and Second Stage Housing and, because it is their home for a period of time, there are a variety of items that they may require.
Londoners like you make it possible for us to meet the needs of our residents and tenants, and to supply them with some of those items that we all require in our ‘home' environment.
Your generous donation of the food is greatly appreciated. You have brightened the lives of the women and children who come to the shelter and have helped us provide delicious, nutritious snacks and meals for our residents. Your gift will also help us keep operating costs within budget.
Thank you for caring and sharing! Thank you for making a difference!
Paramedic students volunteer list
- Huron County Tractor Pull - first aid response
- 9/11 breakfast - delivered breakfast to paramedics of Middlesex, Elgin/St.Thomas, Perth and Oxford
- Elgin County firefighter training - took part as both patients and medics
- Discovery Days - exposing high school students to paramedicine
- Sirens and safety - elementary school-age children - exposing them to paramedicine
- Men's Mission spring clean - assisted staff in their spring clean
- Junior Knights hockey tournament - provided first aid
- Catholic school board hockey tournament - provided first aid
- Global Medic fundraising events - provided first aid and did fundraising
- United Way StairClimb
- Heart and Stroke Foundation - AED demonstrations at the JLC and YMCA
- Terry Fox Run
- Exercise Peregrine - school-based emergency response - provided patient transport
- Police 'crowd control training' - acted as protesters to make training more realistic
- Soccer tournament - provided first aid
- Fire fighter skills competition - provided first aid
- Ontario College Cross Country Meet - provided first aid
- Food Drive - collected food outside numerous grocery stores for the local food shelters
- Raised money for Fanshawe's Trauma and Treatment event as well as Easter Seals, by holding fundraisers such as bake sales, car washes, and ice cream sales