Tourism and Hospitality Students Reap Rewards
Tourism and Hospitality Students took home a rich assortment of cash and other prizes at their recent awards night dubbed 'Fanshawe's Got Talent.'
The April 2, 2009, event was organized entirely by third-year Concierge Services - Guest Relations Specialist students who also arranged all the awards with donors.
One of the richest awards was full tuition provided by the Jamie Gillies Memorial Scholarship, awarded by the Jamie Gillies Memorial Foundation. It went to first-year Culinary Management student Michael Moore.
The $500 Tourism London Award went to first-year Tourism and Travel student Sarah Coenye while second-year Tourism and Travel student Wei Liu was awarded the $500 Skal International London (Jack Docherty Memorial) Award.
Other awards, ranging generally from $100 to $500, included:
Hospitality Management - Hotel program
- Johnson Diversey Award, Katie MacKenzie;
- Server of the Year Award provided by Eddington's of Exeter, Lauren Radoja;
- Bartender of the Year Award provided by Archie's Seafood Restaurant, Courtney Bertens;
- Royal Doulton Award provided by Royal Doulton Canada, Kaitlin Gray;
- Canada Cutlery Award, Kyle Cavanagh;
- Delta Hotels Canada Award, Michael Laurent and Todd Mavin.
Hospitality Management - Food and Beverage program
- Server of the Year Award, provided by Eddington's of Exeter, Jonathan Bryson;
- Bartender of the Year, provided by Archie's Seafood Restaurant, Scott Cade;
- La Casa Ristorante Food and Beverage Award of Excellence in memory of Syl Basacco, Jessica Carreiro;
- Canada Cutlery Award, Jenny Melo;
- Food and Beverage Spirit Award, provided by Auberge du Petit Prince, Colin Easton;
- Mr. Sub Scholarship, Amanda Hennebry.
Culinary Management - Cook Apprentice program
- Garland Canada Cook of the Year, provided by Garland Canada Commercial Ranges Ltd., Teri Cadman;
- Sysco Food Services Award, Julie Yurcak.
- Canada Cutlery Award, Nancy Rendon;
- CCFCC Peter Greuel Culinary Skills Bursary, provided by the Canadian Culinary Federation, Katrina Molenhuis;
- the Longo Food Service Award, Nicole Stantsos;
- CCFCC Culinary Skills Bursary, provided by the Canadian Culinary Federation, Tammy Holroyd;
- Tourism London Award, Brent Steckle;
- OHI Scholarship, provided by the Ontario Hostelry Institute, Brent Steckle.
Concierge Services - Guest Relations Specialist program
- The Luna Al-Sharif Concierge of the Year Award, provided by the Hotel Management and Food and Beverage Management Programs, Tara-Rose Bourgeois.